Senior Director of eCommerce Merchandising
The Senior Director of Ecommerce Merchandising at AJ Madison is responsible for leading the strategy, assortment curation, site merchandising and development of our customer experience at ajmadison.com. The right candidate will demonstrate a winning attitude, be flexible, action and results oriented, analytical and self-starting. You will partner with cross functional teams in business and technology to drive efficiencies with automation and optimize the customer's shopping experience on ajmadison.com. This role is a great opportunity to be part of a high growth company that thinks big and moves quickly.
Desired Qualifications and Expectations
Leadership & Strategy
- Directly responsible for the strategy, development, and procurement of the department to optimize sales growth and contribute to bottom line profit. Assess and manage overall health of all categories
- Communicate effectively and influence at all levels, work well with others, use productive work methods, exercise sound judgment and display initiative and innovation on the job.
- Analyze business performance on a weekly basis and present results to cross functional and leadership teams
- Provide competitive analysis, including pricing and promotional strategies, and marketplace trends
- Build product and service assortments and develop and execute plans that satisfy financial targets
- Build seasonal frameworks, work collaboratively to ensure strategies maximize business opportunities as well as seasonal trends
- Hindsight prior seasons through extensive product analysis, trend analysis, and productivity results to plan for the next season
- Develop understanding of the AJ customer and strategize product selections that are complimentary to the brand and to the customers preference and direct the onboarding of new products/vendor
- Develop a deep understanding of multichannel customer experience and ensure alignment of offers, product and messaging across all
- Partner closely with vendor teams and influence the assortment content via generation of seasonal product briefs and regular check-ins on performance
Site / Digital
- Develop seasonal site strategy based on incoming product assortment, internal learnings, and competitive research
- Oversee merchandise selection, pagination, and updates for aj.com, category and home page, new product pages, based on new arrivals, inventory availability, business pushes, and seasonal focus.
- Collaborate with purchasing and marketing to strategize the event cadence each month; determine messaging and concept while taking into account inventory flow and promotional availability.
- Partner with the email marketing team on a weekly basis by providing/creating categories and product selects while reviewing and reacting to a weekly analysis of sales.
- Partner with Planning and Digital Experience team to execute online campaigns including a recap of performance success.
- Run and analyze web and KPI selling reports on a weekly & monthly basis, understanding when and where to react and address business needs to be in line with the financial plan for each season.
- Act as an active participant in the alignment of site navigation, search, product photography, marketing, and copy strategies.
- Partner with web development team to continually brainstorm new tools for the merchandising team as well as testing opportunities to benefit daily process and management of products
- Assess and analyze product performance and determine appropriate short, medium, and long-term actions to improve opportunities and minimize risk; draw overarching trend conclusions and convert to actions.
Store / Call Center
- Decide exactly how the store should look and feel.
- Run tests to learn how shoppers react, and then make changes based on that data.
- Lead assortment activation in-store by working with Marketing, Sales, and Operations teams
- Partner on managing in season business sales results and mark down cadence
- Provide training and ongoing mentorship for representatives to ensure deep product knowledge and fluency with current plans to sell
- Develop a process for ensuring on phone experience aligns with the store and online experience in term
- MBA or equivalent experience
5-10+ years experience managing an entire eCommerce program
- Technical background, or aptitude in picking up and understanding new technologies
- Strong analytical and data analysis skills
- Proven ability to solve difficult problems that span customer facing, strategy, and operations.
- Previous direct management experience