The Database Engineer must be familiar with all aspects of database engineering in a large scale Big Data environment, including but not limited to being able to install, upgrade, administer, maintain, and customize Redshift, MySQL, PostgreSQL databases for both analytical and transactional environments.
- Scripting and automation across various tools and technologies as well
- Development of database specifications, and documentation.
- Perform database monitoring, maintenance, reorganizations, resource management, schema management, and capacity
- Provide expert technical support for technologies including MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Experience using big data technologies (Redshift, S3, Hive, Hbase, Spark,Hadoop, EMR, etc.)
- Knowledge of distributed systems in data storage and computing
- Expertise in one or more of: Python, Bash or other scripting language.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and the ability to clearly define projects, objectives, goals, schedules and assignments.
- Experience with Database Partitioning Strategies on various databases (Redshift, PostgreSQL, Oracle).
- Strong understanding of database replication technologies.
- Extensive knowledge of performance tuning techniques for a heterogeneous database architecture (Redshift, PostgreSQL, Oracle).
- Strong project management experience with experience in projects such as server migrations, version upgrades, and shared development environment refreshes
- 5+ years hands on experience in a MySQL or PostrgreSQL environment
- Solid understanding of relational database design and concepts
- Good organization and communications skills.
- Strong analytical thinking and excellent troubleshooting.
- Redshift/PostgreSQL/Oracle DBA experience in a 24x7 production environment.
- Experience with Redshift, Postgres system metrics and optimization strategies.
- Knowledge of AWS technologies a plus.